Hi Angel,

How old are your grandkids? My Grandson just turned 6 and I am starting to collect things for him now. He doesn't visit as often as I would like, but when he does I want to hike with him and teach him stuff just like you teach your grandkids. His Dad (my Son-in-law) is just now getting interested in this stuff after watching Les Stroud on TV. So that will help. The dollar store is a good idea!

I have most all the things you mentioned. I don't have the birthday candles, but I have read about them, so that is a good idea. I seem to have lost the bic lighter I had, so thank you for reminding me. I'll get another one.

I also keep some large plastic construction bags with me.

I have one daughter that is interested in being prepared for emergencies. I bought her an AMK first aid kit and will get her more stuff soon. She works with groups of people so I wanted to get her one that would work with several people.

My other duaghter is not interested at all and thinks I am silly to have gear in my car for emergencies. I cannot understand why anyone would think being prepared for emergencies is a silly idea! Amazing! She lives in an earthquake prone area, so she may change her mind after a few small quakes.

I agree with you about testing gear. There are some things in my husbands pack that I would like to test. I want to get him a better stove and cooking gear. But for now he has an Esbit Stove and fuel and a camping pot in case he ever has to hike home. We need to test the esbit stove like the guys have talked about on this forum. I bought him a Katadyn Xtreme water filter that I haven't tried yet either.

Thank you for sharing Angel!

Joy