Originally Posted By: SARbound

Just being curious... How did you evaluate the guy's proficiency in first-aid before proceeding with the confiscating of his stuff?

In my area, the star of life basically means "you can come here to get some help". It does not imply or guarantee anything. Obviously, if you can't be of any help then you are clearly falsely representing yourself which is NOT good. But generally speaking, if you can actually provide some help/care/first-aid/whatever, then you should be okay.

Well, the set up was, I was an EMT, working the BLS ambulance stationed at the police station. I was also cross trained as a desk officer (basically take/write all non-criminal complaints; traffic tickets, lost items, etc). An officer brought showed up with a bunch of "stuff" from the guy's car. I'm assuming he had no credentials on him... had a big FAK, a construction-type helmet, reflective vest, some other odds and ends, all emblazoned with the SOL. As I understand it, since he couldn't prove EMS affiliation, he was falsely representing himself. Like I said though, it was brought to the station by one of the officers.

http://www.ems.gov/vgn-ext-templating/ems/sol/pages/Criteria+Specs.htm

Shows the legality behind use. Though in all likelihood, climberslacker, take a class or two, get a first-responder certificate, you'll be fine. FWIW, the red cross probably won't get you in any trouble either. Worse case scenario? Use your First Aid merit badge patch on the kit, since most of you should recognize that!