Originally Posted By: JeanetteIsabelle
I believe the most important survival tool is knowledge which is why it is so important to teach kids how to use tools properly.

I think Mike_H is right in that many today don't teach children enough lessons in morality, but that may be because many today do not believe as much that certain things are simply right or wrong. If I go any further I'm into a political discussion about moral relativism and the so-called cultural wars, so I'll stop.

JeanetteIsabelle is also right on. However, I think many do not teach their children how to do lots of things today. I've got a friend who is pretty capable as far as fixing and creating thigns. He was licensed as a shipboard engineer, worked as one and as a mechanical contractor, so has can do welding, plumbing and a number of other skills. but he continually refers to his own sons (4 of them) as "useless" when it comes to yard work, such as raking or cutting his lawn. I know that by the time I was the age of his two oldest, I was out cutting neighbors lawns for money, and I learned from my father. If his sons do not know, then isn't that probably because he did not teach them?

I think there is also something in there about a changing set of what we expect our children to be able to do. For example, my friend's father expected mroe from my friend, than my friend expects from his sons.

Edited by Dan_McI (05/30/08 03:07 PM)