Great advice, Mr. Kavanaugh.

But I thought we determined that we can no longer get Kendal Mint Cake in the US, so how can I make my traditional survivalist "tobasco sauce and Kendall Mint cake on Turkey Jerky casserole"? Any alternate recipes would be appreciated.

As I think I described in a much earlier thread, my invisioned and planned for bug out scenario is actually a 90 mile journey on foot back home (assuming simply driving home is impossible for some reason), which is increasingly hardened, stocked and prepared for longer term problems. I'll want to hook up with my wife at home, if possible, even if we have to bug out from there, or I get called into federal service. The environment I face is mostly Southern woodlands, farms, swamps, river and bay crossings and small towns, and I don't face any extremes of climate except heat and humidity.

As an avid backpacker, I appreciate the inverse relationship between load and mobility. Therefore, I've set a weight limit of 30 lbs on my BOB. That will hopefully be enough get me home, or let me survive a longer trip.

Nothing I have is overtly "tactical." I and my BOB would attract no undue attention on a bus, in a store, or at a temporary shelter operation. I am also incredibly lucky to carry Federal and State Disaster credentials, and a local Fire department ID that would get me past any official roadblocks or travel restrictions, as well as a lot of specialized training that could be useful, like Advanced Disaster Life Support or Advanced Radiological Life Support, along with considerable professional experience in disasters from wildfires, to 9/11, to Katrina.

Moreover, if the feces hits the rotating impeller, I'd be called into service with the National Disaster Medical System, FL-1 Disaster Medical Assistance Team, anyway. That's why making my home safe, secure and sustainable for my wife looms large in my plans.

But I fully realize others face entirely different circumstances, such as very cold weather, or plans for more extended self-support in the boonies or in urban environments. But that makes reading about individual preps and plans so interesting and helpful.

Your advice about constant refining and re-evaluation of plans is wise, indeed. I've learned a lot from others here and made changes accordingly. I guess I'm a bit of a survival geek, and probably have enough excess gear to equip quite a few friends (sound familiar?).

Jeff