Originally Posted By: Ors

I think I'm going to be hijacking my own thread, but what do you do for water? Purification methods, or carry some and purify some? Since a drought is predicted this year...I'm thinking about for the whole family too...hard to convince young ones that they need to drink nasty looking water...even if it is purified as well as can be.

I use a liquid iodine solution (PolarPure) in my BOB. My pocket sized kit has iodine tablets. I use a home made gravity filter set up when backpacking, but it seems to too much hassle in a bugout situation, when I plan to be on the move. I've used iodine for weeks at a time in the past, with no problems.

A bit of ascorbic acid added after the iodine has had time to work improves the palatability of the treated water, or so I'm told. I've never felt the need to try it myself. Also there is a time/dose relationship between the amount of iodine required and the time you drink it. If you let the treated water stand overnight before imbibing, and it is clean appearing water (filter through a coffee filter or cloth), you can use much less iodine.

My BOB has a 3 quart water bladder in it, but I keep it empty for hygienic reasons. Instead, I just put three 1 quart bottled waters in the bag, and replace them seasonally. That gives me 1 1/2 gallons, or about 13 pounds, of water carrying capacity.

Jeff