I was at Target a few days ago and noticed that they have "survival gear" in the $1 bins at the front of the store. They had...

Waterproof Matches - S.O.B. with wax coating

5 in 1 Emergency Whistle - Whistle, waterproof matches container, compass (looks liquid filled), mirror, and "flint firestarter" on the side.

First Aid Kit - Small red pouch with 1 alcohol prep pad, 1 iodine pad, 1 pair of small scissors, 1 roll of gauze, 1 roll of med tape, and 9 different adhesive bandages.

Swiss Army Knockoff about 2 inches long.

Splinter Kit - Its in a waterproof looking, resealable, plastic bag. Looks similar to the "Pocket Survival Kit". 1 metal tweezer in tiny bottle, 1 safety pin, 1 sting relief pad, and 7 different size adhesive bandages.

Emergency Survival Blanket - 52" x 84".

They also had 2 packs of glow sticks for $1.

They had a couple of more items, but I can't remember what they were.

Most of this stuff would be good for your survival minded kids, so they can be prepared like mom and dad. Since it was cheap, I grabbed a bunch of different items to check the quality. All items were made in China, but the blanket and splinter kit were decent quality. The glow sticks are very bright and have a hole and hook on the end. They also come with string for both. Not sure how long they will last, but I'm going to put some in my vehicles.

Roger