Where I live, we don't have basements. In North Central Texas, where the ground shifts, basements are still considered doable. However, given what it costs to build a basement under these conditions, they are not practical. Even what they call "safe rooms" are not all that feasible. You want to talk about a major remodeling project?

Doug wrote a good article on Earthquake & Disaster Preparedness Kits and irregardless of how prepared you are, when an F5 comes through, it is taking your gear with it. Assuming you, your family and cat are all right, you are still up a tree without tools, food, water and medical supplies.

One option is to walk down to your nearest car rental place, assuming it is still there, lay down your Visa and get out of Dodge. That sounds like a plan however I wonder if anyone has anything better.

Jeanette Isabelle