Originally Posted By: unimogbert
I'm a little confused about what knife is being recommended. Ka Bar is a brand with a wide variety of products so "a Kabar" could refer to the fighting knife or to lots of other knives.

If the guy is set on the Kabar Camp Knife or the combat knife I suspect he'll be making his first acquisition as a knife collector since that knife will reveal some limitations at some point.

Nothing wrong with having a collection though :-)

At least he's not starting with the Crocodile Dundee version of a knife..... (or a Bowie Knife,er, short sword)

I'm partial to the Spec Plus Pilot Survival knife and similar size when dayhiking and backpacking. Synthetic sheath (not kydex though), rubber handle, lanyard hole, modest price.

Originally Posted By: Hacksaw
...I noticed the Camp Knife while doing some research for him.

I guess I wasn't specific enough as many of you do seem to be referring to the stereotypical Ka Bar fighting knives. I'm specifically asking about the Ka-Bar 'Camp Knife'. Similar to the fighting knives in size and (synthetic)handle but with a Kuhkri-ish 8" recurve blade. I wanted to hyperlink it but the proxy here at work is scared of websites which feature 'weapons'.