On the first page of today's Washington Post op-ed section. The placement is certainly a positive. It's concise. Doesn't get much into how one should prepare but makes the case that everyone should be. You'd think DC citizenry would be all over this stuff, but few are. One of the root problems of the failed Hurricane Katrina evacuation was the fact that so many people in New Orleans didn't own cars. The percentage of DC residents who don't own cars is significantly higher. So many people I know here rely on the subway system and zip.car to rent a car for a couple hours to do errands. Good luck finding one of those in a crisis. I won't be inclined to pick up hitchhikers. And I won't have any room.

ASLEEP AT THE SWITCH
It's an Emergency. We're Not Prepared.

By John D. Solomon
Sunday, May 18, 2008; Page B01

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/con...id=opinionsbox1

excerpts:

"Even after Sept. 11, 2001, even after Hurricane Katrina, a Red Cross survey last year found that 93 percent of Americans aren't prepared for a major calamity -- a natural disaster, a pandemic or a terrorist attack. This is troubling, because the more prepared a population is, the more effective the response to and recovery from a catastrophe will be."

"Readying the public for the likely emergencies of the 21st century may be one of the most complex social-education challenges the nation has faced. Americans have to prepare for a range of threats, many of which the government can neither describe nor predict. Says George Foresman, former undersecretary for preparedness with the Department of Homeland Security, "There's no playbook for any of us to go by."

"History has shown that individuals will rise to the occasion in an emergency. But offering them the information, training, technology, support and encouragement to prepare in advance means that they'll be in the best position to help themselves, their families and their community if -- but probably when -- that emergency arrives.

jsolomon@incaseofemergencyblog.com

John D. Solomon is writing a book about emergency preparedness and blogs at www.incaseofemergencyblog.com.
[b][/b]

Edited by TS_Shawn (05/18/08 06:59 PM)