I think the Boy Scouts of America and their team of attorneys disagree with you haertig, and even without the lawyers watching I wouldn't pack an oral airway in a Troop FAK ever. Two or more epipens + several doses of bendadryl for allergic reactions will reestablish the most common compromised airway. The likelihood is vanishingly remote for a patrol encountering (and recognizing the proper treatment for) a different compromised airway (such as from a fall and spinal injury) that can't be reestablished by traditional means. The act of training a troop to insert an oral airway itself carries definite risk and liabilities - if you were on the jury following a death, would you find it prudent to have taught oral airways to 13 year olds? Its commonly held that putting anything except your finger into a Scouts throat to swipe debris is an invasive and potentially injuring treatment.

I usually ask, what would I want Scouts to know to treat me if I fell. Generally I want them to stablize the scene, stay calm, stay within their training, apply basic first aid, and get help for anything they can't handle. I would be damn proud if they could stay cool, organize and treat me as we practiced. However, if I fell, suffered a spinal injury, and had a compromised airway, if the patrol couldn't rescue breath for me long enough to get help, then I guess I've had it, and no amount of oral airways plus kids willing to apply it is likely to change that. It would not be pretty for sure, but neither is a botched airway and the idea that some Scout has to live with that for the rest of his life. Part of preparing a Troop for outings is going over the Worst Case, and telling them now that while most times we can work together and get a victim to safety, sometimes we can't, and that will be the hardest thing to experience. Its been part of every training I've received too - sometimes circumstances run against you in the woods.