After finding that fairly inexpensive Sony which I mentioned in the Being Equipped is so "Anal" thread as an alternative to a wind up emergency radio, I found the Grundig Eton Mini 300. It's a pocket size AM/FM/SW radio that runs on two AA batteries. (When it arrived today it came without batteries so I went to my AA stock and noticed two batteries that I'd pulled out of my digital camera and I thought why not see if they work -- not a problem. It worked just fine on batteries my Nikon Coolpix rejected (under voltage?) Whatever . . . )

The radio has an analog tuner with a digital looking liquid crystal readout. Despite the digital looking display, it does not have a digital tuner and it is not phase locked (PLL). Drifting will probably be an issue if you use the radio in the SW bands but it seems to hold freq well enough in AM which is all I bought this radio for. The digital looking readout makes tuning to your favorite station much easier than a pure analog tuner display (you know the little bar that moves across the frequencies as you turn the little wheel and you can never tell just where it is, so you get it close and stop when it sounds as good as you can get it). The display seems to be fairly accurate.

The sound is surprisingly clear. It's about 12" away from my laptop and is crystal clear on AM 600. With many AM radios I get a 60Hz tone with this station and when this radio was close to the laptop it did too, but just a little distance and it cleared up nicely.

It has one speaker so would indicate FM mono, but according to the specs on Amazon audio output mode is stereo, and it comes with stereo earbuds. Smooth jazz sucks on the radio's speaker but a good headset makes all the difference, FM is definitely stereo.