We just returned from a PTA fundraiser for my son's elementary school. Sounds benign, doesn't it? Actually it was a lot of fun until some teen groups began to perform. Although they were quite talented and did a great show, someone got to the school's sound system to turn up the volume to a painfully loud level. When it started, I unobtrusively seated my ear plugs. I always carry a set to any event with music, singing, or a sound system. It's amazing how often the sound levels are turned up abusively. Anyway, I happily observed the performances, while my oldest son did nothing (he's almost 13 & beyond the stage of regularly following the advice of a father), and my younger son just plugged his ears with his fingers. They had neglected to bring any plugs, and mine won't fit them yet. Inexplicably, my wife just plugged her ears with her fingers instead of using her plugs. Oh, well. I think the kids might listen to me and bring their ear plugs to the next sound event. As to my wife, I will never hazard a prediction.

I carry rubber reusable plugs that readily seat in my ears & deeply enough that they are not noticeable to others.

John