I got a lot of laughs at NYC residents expense during the 5 state power outage a few years back. People hiking up 34+ floors with buckets of water...minimal stored food, no stored water, no flashlights.
Of course, the news probably wouldn't show too many people that are prepared. That's not sensational so why report it !
Did see one 4 story co-op bldg that had power the whole time ... they had installed their own backup diesel generator with plenty of fuel .. so they were set.
So, I know there are some New Yorkers that do prepare....BUT like many places...those that are prepared are truly in the minority.
I always thought a return visit to interview those that were shown on TV unprepared then, to see if they are more prepared now would be a neat show. Maybe part of a program on preparedness in general ...in light of tornados, earthquakes etc that seem to occur frequently enough somewhere in the world. But hey... TV usually doesn't spend much time educating the masses.
I know that watching them on TV convinced me to never to live in a bldg taller than a few stories. ....and while I hate big cities, it gave me even more support for desire to never move ot one ever. BUT, I might find myself in one while traveling or on business, so I always try to by prepared more when I do that. Just in case.