Quote:
The people throughout time who were experts at flintnapping were so because they had no other choice but to be.

I think the same applies to all primitive skills. Hundreds of years ago the poor b******s had no other choice but to become good at these skills, but we have the option of being able to do more. You will need to devote a LOT of time at these skills to become really good and that’s time I can utilize better doing something more practical. I would much rather spend an hour practicing navigation, Field first aid, or emergency signaling (like how to properly use a signal mirror) than flint knapping. I made a bow drill once and after a few hours of cursing and swearing I managed to get a small ember to light my tinder pile. I was happy that I could do it once but I have no intentions on spending countless hours of my life becoming an expert at it. When I go in the field I take plenty of fire making stuff and although anything is possible, it is highly unlikely that I will use up all my matches, lighters and sparking tools leaving me at the mercy of a bow drill. If so I at least have a very basic working knowledge of one. Same applies to flint knapping, as I bet there are lots of other materials available I could use for a spearhead or knife in an emergency. I would call it nice to know, but not really necessary.

That being said Dweste. If you like flint knapping then flint knap away and to hell with what anyone like me thinks of it.

Just be sure to keep us updated on how your classes are going smile