I agree this is generally a decent kit for the $$, and likely would have got one if I didn't have all of the items. LVO is also good to deal with. Even the packaging is way better than usual, very neat and organised and pro. And of course you'll notice Dougs piccy on there...

A little experience and you will swap a few items out according to preference/need. But I'm sure they wanted an "under $100" price point. My biggest beef is with the AMK compass: at one time they may have been good, but I have yet to see one I'd call acceptable, nowhere near the quality and effectiveness of the Suunto micro that costs only a few bucks. I only jump on this because IMO a compass is important, and the type of people who might buy this kit may not have any other one. I hope they would if they're backpackers, but this kit looks to me as being aimed at people who have "nothing". To be extremely blunt and non-PC, intending to rely on anything important that's made in China in a survival situation is IMO a very poor concept... I wish AMK would talk to Suunto, raise the kit price a couple bucks, and have a real "keeper" micro compass to match the quality of the rest of the PSK stuff.