Originally Posted By: Glock-A-Roo
The newer products from QuickClot generate little if any heat.

Interesting, I hadn't noticed this new Combat Gauze. Well, it was just announced a couple weeks ago, it seems, at least from the press announcement.

Although sold under the QuickClot brand name, the Combat Gauze uses a completely different substance from the original QuickClot. Basically a certain type of clay--Kaolin clay, to be exact. The same clay that gave the anti-diarrhea product, Kaopectate, its name.

However, from the little I've read about the Combat Gauze, I believe that there is still one specific area where Celox has an advantage--when dealing with a person with comprised clotting ability. The Kaolin relies on enhancing the body's normal clotting ability, however, for people with comprised clotting, like those on heparin therapy, I don't know how well the clay would work. In contrast, the chitosan in Celox works independently of the body's normal clotting mechanism. Anyway, not something that most soliders have to worry about, but quite a few older folks are on heparin, so just something that came to mind.