Originally Posted By: martinfocazio
You know, I have a few weather radios, with SAME alerting and I've gotten so sick of the "Severe Weather Warnings" that they issue all the time with their slightly hysterical version of the Steven Hawking voice synthesizer

WARNING: IT GETS HOT IN THE SUMMER!
WARNING: RAIN IS WET!
WARNING! WEAR A HAT WHEN YOU GO OUT. YOU'LL CATCH A DEATH OF A
COLD. DON'T BLAME US IF YOU END UP SICK IN BED.

The warnings come so frequently and for trivial reasons - we just turned the darn thing off.

I'm not even talking about the Weather Watches which are issued about 90 times a day.

SPECIAL WEATHER STATEMENT FROM THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE: THERE IS A POSSIBILITY OF A CHANCE OF BRIEF SHOWERS TONIGHT MAYBE. SKYWARN ACTIVATION IS REQUESTED.

When we think of the folks at the local NOAA Weather Radio station my wife and I envision a really nervous bunch of folks deep in a bunker cowering at the thought of a sky over their heads.

It's a shame - they have squandered a good system by polluting it with info-crap.

We still have the radio, but I can't think of the last time we turned it on for any reason.

There's a lesson in here, somewhere.

I live in Nebraska and we get our fair share of severe weather around here and I don't think it going off to much is a problem. I think you were joking but mine does not go off for watches. A light comes, but it doesnt activate. If you set it with SAME you should only get relevant warnings. That being said if you pay attention to the weather you dont really need one on all the time.