Quote:
At this time about 20 years ago my EDC knife was a medium-sized Swiss Army Knife (this was pre-multitool time), I think it was called a Lumberjack model. The blade was only about 3 inches long and I wanted to see if it was big enough to field dress a deer. So the next year I shot a nice big buck on opening day and that little SAK cleaned it out no problem, I even used the saw blade to split the pelvic bone.

It’s amazing what one can do with a small blade when needed. In all honesty I prefer using a multi-tool over a knife for field dressing now. I used my surge to clean a bunch of rabbit a few weeks ago and was quite impressed. I can't wait to see how it will tackle a whitetail.

I find that as my skills with a knife improve the size of my EDC and field blades decrease. I don't want to brag, but I can do almost anything with a small knife at this point. I no longer EDC a folder as the surge blades are more than adequate for most jobs with a little patience. My LMF stays strapped to my TAC vest usually, and even my dedicated skinner gets strapped to my pack instead of my belt more and more. I still have my cold steel ultimate hunter as a backup blade, but even this is a fairly small folder.

Granted, Big knives still have their place, I won’t be selling my cold steel kukri machete anytime soon, But I still can drop a tree with the blade of my surge if ever the need arises.