As stated in my first post: 9mm, 38 Spl, 40S&W or 45acp are all good service cartridges, though these days 38 is best in a backup role. 9mm is universally available in the world today and has recoil tolerated by anyone in good health. Arthritis and other diseases may make any pistol above 22 a task, but unless you suffer from this or similar ailments, a 9 is fine if properly loaded. The new M&P 9mm by S&W may just have the lightest perceived recoil of any service grade 9mm available.

Hydrashoks are about three or four generations old and while they have always been very accurate and fed well in anything I ever used them in, they are not the best choice today. The post pierces tissue prior to the main part of the expanded projectile and as a result the wound profile is considerably smaller than from a comparable hollowpoint that does not have the post. This also causes excess penetration as a result. Additonally, these rounds perform poorly (don't expand, over penetrate) against heavy clothing, such as will be encountered in winter months. Dr. Martin Fackler did research on this phenomenon and published the results some years ago. He also wrote a letter to Federal advising them that this ammunition had increased liability concerns as a result of these tests.

For a 9mm, there are many excellent loads to use today that work against heavy clothing, etc. 24/7. The Speer Gold Dot 147 gr. standard pressure and their 124+P loads, available from either Speer or Black Hills, both offer excellent performance. They expand well and penetrate within the desired parameters (12"-18" in living tissue), with penetration in the 13" to 15" range. This is nearly ideal. These rounds are readily available to non-leo. Another good load is the Remington 147 gr. Golden Saber. If you have access to it, the Federal and Winchester LE-only ammunition is excellent. You can get it in bullet weights/loads ranging from 124+P, 127 gr. +P+, 135+P , and 147 gr. in both standard and +P. Pick the load that shoots best in your pistol, put a couple of hundred rounds of this through it to ensure reliability and then stock up whatever amount you think is prudent/can afford. The LE ammo is not llegal for civilians. This is a manufacturer decision and anyone can carry it if you can find it. Gun shows tend to be a good source.

For snubby 38's, try standard pressure wadcutters. They don't expand, but they cut a 36 caliber hole and tend to follow a straight path, cutting and crushing all along. In spite of their low velocity, they offer excellent penetration. They are excellent for any snubby, but in airweights they really shine due to their lower recoil. Being target loads, they are also very accurate. For something hotter, the Speer 135 gr. +P load was designed specifically for use in snubbies. It gives good expansion and penetration, even against heavy clothing. This is not a good load against auto windshields, but fine for everything else. This load is intended for snubbies. Don't use it in longer barrels as it will overexpand and underpenetrate. Underpenetration will get you killed since the rounds don't get to the boiler room. Black Hills also has an excellent SWCHP designed specifially for snubs. The older Chicago load - 158 gr. LSWC-HP, along with the Hornady 158 gr. JHP are fine for longer barreled 38's. Winchester produced a LE load that still shows up occasionally for longer barreled 38's. It was a 147 gr. +P load. It only performs well in barrel 3" or longer.

For inside a bedroom, a load of #4 shot will probably suffice, but if you must shoot across a house - I have shots in the house in excess of 15 yards, this load simply gives TOO shallow penetration. #4 buck would be better in a house, but it has not proven to be a good load over the years. Shallow penetration prevents the pellets from getting to the boiler room. I no longer prefer a shotgun for home defense, but on those rare occasions I do, it gets low recoil 00 buck. It doesn't over penetrate -- unless you miss and they all are a problem them -- even birdshot. I know a former Gary, IN cop who nearly killed his baby daughter when he had a ND with his shotgun and the shot went right through the wall just above her little body. If I recall correctly, he had bird shot in it. My aunt was killed by an ND from my drunken uncle when I was just a boy and I think he had #6 shot in his old '97 Winchester. The distance was inside three yards and she didn't die instantly, but pretty close to it. But then, she wasn't hyped up on dope either. At that distance, there was no shot spread and penetration was such that she was literally all over the room. These days I have resigned myself that a good 223/5.56 carbine is best, since it has less penetration in a house than shotgun and pistol loads and is far more precise. There are many studies to back up what I say on this, so you don't have to believe me, I'll gladly provide references. It's the real reason most cops have gone to 223/5.56 over 9mm subguns and shotguns -- less collateral damage.

Those who advocate 30-30, 30-06, etc. are correct if they are using it outside a home, but if you think the information I've provided doesn't meet your favorite rifle, I advise you that all of these calibers give excessive penetration from misses (not hits if properly loaded) inside a typical home than the loads I mention above. The 155 gr. Hornady A-Max and 150 gr. Nosler Partition fired in either 308 or 30-06 should not overpenetrate even at contact distances, IF YOU HIT WHAT YOU"RE AIMING AT. If you miss, look out. I think pre-planning and careful consideration of your individual needs/locations will preclude you having to deal with the problems of overpenetration within a dwelling. Our house is set up so that I can safely cover our bedroom door without indangering anyone sleeping in the guest rooms. However, if I have to leave that room, then all bets are off. That's why I prefer to hole up in the bedroom and let the intruder come to me. We rarely have overnight guests, so that is typically not a problem. Your situation may be entirely different and only you can determine what works best for your needs.