Market research would have been wise. I carry much of what Martin listed although I carry most of it in the backpack. In my pockets are things that I might need right now. The water can wait a bit; the FAK is usually for somebody else too so by definition that can wait wink but in my Mission Wallet is a 1xAAA LED flashlight (when the lights go out you need a flashlight right now), an SAK Spartan (when a bottle of wine needs opening. . .), a Leatherman Squirt E4 and a couple aspirin. My change purse carries small bills, coins and an SAK Classic. Cell phone is on my belt and sunglasses are on my face.

The backpack carries a lot of gear including a LM Charge TTi, Ritter RSK Mk1, a 4xAA LED flashlight, a GPS, spare AA & AAA batteries, a good FAK in a clear vinyl zip top bag, a clean cotton gym towel, a Small REI MultiTowel and a liter of water. I haven't seen a need to carry a pry bar although I keep one behind the seat of my truck with the fire extinguisher and serious FAK. The extra room in the backpack is reserved for whatever else I decide to take that day.

My guess is that a lot of folks in NYC don't do anything but answer a phone and go to lunch so the idea of carrying tools and being prepared to use them is alien. What's the FDNY for but to rescue me (it's all about me) when a disaster strikes. Why get out of a train when I can just sit in the dark and read my book waiting for somebody in charge to tell me what to do. 9-11 is so 2001