Spotted this tidbit in a NYC Newspaper yesterday (click on the image to enlarge it):

If you can't read it, here's some key excerpts:

Wouldn't every straphanger want to carry a 3.5" flashlight, a 7" prybar, a metal whistle and a towlette to remove dirt, along with a disposable anti-fog mask?

That's what Bensonhurst resident David Ruggerio thought when he invented the Subvivor Subway Safety Kit last year. He was so confident in his invention that he placed an order for 10,000 with the manufacturer and promoted with a web site that reminded prospective customers of such events as the 1987 escalator fire at a London Underground Station that killed 31 people - and 9/11.

"I thought we were going to sell out the first week," said Ruggerio who works in the security industry....but Ruggerio has only sold a few hundred....

...for many New Yorkers, carrying an extra 12 ounces is, perhaps, too much. Octavia Green, 28, of the Bronx, thought the kit was only for "anal" people.
"Why would you need a crowbar to get out of a train and onto a track?" she asked. "You wouldn't know where you are. It's like a catch-22, you'd kill yourself trying to save yourself."

And down at the bottom, here's the newspapers suggested EDC - no I'm not making this up, look for yourself:
  • Hand Sanitizer
  • TranStrap - a portable strap that hooks to the bar so you don't have to touch it.
  • Mini-Fan
  • Almonds
  • Book
  • iPhone

You can't make this stuff up folks.
In case you're wondering, my NYC EDC is basic, basic - flashlight, whistle, bandanna, water, mobile phone and SAK or Leatherman tool - that's always on my person. I have some more stuff in the backpack (FAK, a few more tools, batteries) and that's with me when I'm on the subway.