Taurus,

I was a Troup Scouter for about 4 years.
When I first got started, I was introduced to a very small troup; so small it couldn't have more than 2 patrols.
The troup didn't have any set curriculum, and the parents in the scout comittee didn't have any experience with boys of the scout age.
Pretty much my goal was to prepare them for camping outdoors without the use of cabins. CubScouts mostly cabin camp.
I don't think there was a boy there that had even slept a night out in a tent.
First thing i did was bring in some of my own gear, and introduce them to backpacking style of camping. By introducing my gear, i talked about types of gear and their uses.
Safety being important, i introduced them to the basic 'survival kit'(Fieldbook Chapter1). During this time, they all constructed their own and talked about the various uses for the kit items.
When i introduced them to actual camping, i took them out to a ranch, gave a quick talk about shelters. The week before i went to a lumber yard and picked up a bunch of old lumber tarps. The kids then broke into pairs, and set up shelters. After they were finished, we talked about their successes and improvements on their shelters.
Then we talked about Fire, and its' uses, and different ways to start fires. The kids then broke into pairs again, and practiced firelighting with different methods.
We spent the weekend doing these simple things(and camping), and other outdoor skills, which in the end led to their Camping and Woodcraft badges.

Myself and a leader from another troup tried rock climbing/rapelling, but in the end, the comittee decided that too many 'bad things' could happen for kids this age; especially in the beginning of scouting. Mabye after a year, i'd run something in a controlled environment, like a rock climbing gym.

As for military content? Well i for one dont't have any military training or experience, however I can think of a few ways to make compass work, and navigation somewhat 'tactical' and fun for boys.

I pretty much just studied the "Field Guide" and elaborated on that. I think the fieldguide is a bit outdated when it comes to lightweight gear, but that was easily remedied.

Easy. Pick a badge or two and journey onward!
Oh, and one more thing, make sure the parents take part.

onward and upward!

al