First, is the tradition by which we, as a nation provide for emergency response, it is a public service. Generally, we do not charge for fire, police and rescue services, except through taxes. Until recently, most communities did not even charge for EMS services, although this has changed, when health insurance plans and Medicaid/Medicare started to provide payment for EMS services. The rich should not get one level of public service and the poor another, so we disperse the cost for these services though taxes.

In many cases, the recipients of SAR services are not the ones to have asked for the service. I am not sure of legal issues surrounding the request by a third party for services and then charging for that service to an individual or group of individuals who never requested the service. Even if I am the one to request SAR services and have to pay for the service, do I not then have the right to select the organization I want to provide the service, perhaps one with greater resources and success, as well as the level of response? It is not realistic or practical to start designating whom you want to provide the service, so cost recovery then becomes a monopoly. Unless we have previously contracted with private provides of emergency protective/provider services (which does exist), there should be no exclusivity of provider services.

Pete