Blackouts, 9/11, Katrina, and some apparent "food shortages" are getting people to be more aware of their need to prepare. I think most just follow some list of essentials they pulled from their favorite entertainment media. Isn't that enough? smirk

Shows on TV and recent movies have been increasingly focused on survival. I'm thinking of Survivorman, Man vs. Wild, I Shouldn't Be Alive, Survivor, Lost, and Into the Wild.

I've noticed that my local Walmart has signficantly more survival gear inventory, and it has increased slightly in actual usefulness and quality. shocked I even purchased a few items there myself. blush

Quote:
I always wonder, as I watch the rush for plywood, what happened to the plywood they had bought, cut to size, & installed for the previous hurricane???

ROFL laugh

Consumers are just following their instincts. When threatened, their innate reaction is to consume. Who needs planning and preparation? That would require thought. smirk