I would caution against assuming that commercial aircraft carry extensive first aid kits. Last time I was on a flight, I noticed a sticker on one of the overhead bins indicating first aid. I opened the overhead bin and found a first aid kit about half the size of a briefcase. They carry FIRST aid. Not extended aid, or traumatic aid, heart attack, or baby birthing aid. <br><br>SAM splints are cool but bulky. I have a couple in my home disaster kit but don't carry them. Splint material is all around you. Anything mildly rigid can be used. In a plane crash, the area should be littered with all kind of things to use like broken tree limbs, airplane frame, umbrellas, magazines, etc. Most Over The Counter meds are given orally. General field practice is to NOT give anything orally to prevent potential air way obstructions for patients. Carrying a few OTC pain meds for personal use makes good sense. I would suggest you follow the guidelines as set out in your training to provide the best defense if you are called into court to defend your actions. <br><br>I would recommend carrying bandaids for minor injuries, lots of 4x4 guaze pads, roller gauze, antibiotic, and gloves. A pocket face mask if you have lots of room. <br><br>"Messing about with flint and steel is great in theory, but if you have someone injured and going into shock, especially in a remote or inaccessible location, you need a fire NOW! Airliners will have emergency flares; use one of those if you have to. Use a flamethower or a propane torch if one's available; someone in shock doesn't have time for you to mess about with your magnesium shavings and flint sparker. (Something that I was told rather forcibly by my Wilderness First Aid instructor back in February, and it made sense to me. :-)"<br><br>I would be very surprised to find any commercial airliners that carry flamethrowers or propane torches as part of their emergency equipment. I would be suprised to find flamethrowers anywhere other than a military installation. Flares can be effective fire starters if you can locate them on the damaged aircraft. Starting fires with methods other than matches can be more difficult if you have not practiced. Fire building is a skill that needs to be practiced and mostly is about good preparation. I would prefer to start a fire with matches but I can start a fire with a magneisum fire starter, hot spark, or steel wool and batteries in just about the same amount of time it takes to start one with matches. The time consuming part is gathering the fuel, not the actual lighting of the fuel.<br><br>I would guess that your WIlderness First Aid instructor has very good first aid skills. People who follow this forum often have better than average outdoor and survival skills. Building fire with alternate means is a skill many practice. <br><br>The common thread of most of the questions on this forum is what can I carry with me to ensure my survival. In other words, I cannot rely on others to provide the supplies and skills to resolve the problem, so what should I carry on my person or in a container on my person at all times to help me overcome adversity. Certainly take advantage of supplies and materials in your area, but also have your own materials that you can reply on, have practiced with, and know you will have available to you.<br><br>So yes, I carry a magneisum fire starter with hack saw blade and lifeboat matches with me in my fanny pack when I travel on commercial airlines. I typically have a fanny pack on my waist while flying. I also have a daypack at my feet. The day pack is typically only half full to allow me to add items during my travels. I normally include an unlined nylon jacket with hood, at least one bottle of water, 50' of paracord, a SAK, a large trash bag (or 3), trail mix or other snack, and matches in the daypack. Bulky items that don't fit in the fanny pack.<br><br>The fanny pack has a first aid kit, flashlight with extra batteries, Leatherman, imitation SAK, matches, lighter, MFS, trashbags, bandanna, 50' paracord, tin foil, cash, paper & pencil, pen, duct tape, chemical light stick, water purification tablets, space blanket, whistle, compass, needles, fishing line, hooks, sinkers, bobber. The first aid kit includes the the items listed above as well as a few OTC pain meds and immodium AD.<br><br>When going through airport security, I put the fanny pack in the day pack and put the whole thing on the conveyor belt X-ray machine. Once through security, I put the fanny pack on my waist. Never had a problem with knifes or matches.<br><br>