Thank you all for suggestions on other knives and forums. I'm checking them out. The Bark River "Gameskeeper" arrived today from A.G. Russell (excellent service!). It's more substantial than I expected as the steel is quite thick (.215"). Ritter's MK3 is my basis for comparison. They are virtually the same length. The Ritter's blade is bigger and just feels more like a tool. While handsome, the Gameskeeper is not so expensive that I'd be scared to use it. It came with a nice leather sheath. Obviously I'm new at this but it strikes me as a good value and I'm pleased with the purchase. When I figure out how to post pics I will do so.

This is an interesting blade from Bark River. I have no idea how much it is but it intrigues me. I'm hooked.

Golock

http://www.barkriverknifetool.com/bushcraft/golok/index.html

"The Bark River Golok has it's Roots in the Traditional Tools of the Region of Indonesia. This Type of Tool has been used for Centuries and has proven to be one of the most useful for Bushcraft. The Golok is Light and Compact and is easy fo carry for a large knife. It Excels at Trail Clearing, Chopping, Shelter Building, Notching and Spliting Firewood. The large knife will take Batoning without a Complaint and it great for use as a Draw Knife for Stripping Bark or Creating a Flat Area of a log. We feel it is one of the Best Bushcraft Tools avalible on Today's Market."

Blade Steel:
Hardness:
Thickness:
Blade Length:
Overall Length:
Weight:
0170-6
58RC Blade
.210 inches
11 inches
17 inches
16 ounces