> I'll start of with some ideas, even though some may be off base.<br><br>> 4. Meds.<br>> Here I'm not totally sure what would be best. You may experience or need to treat all sorts of injuries,<br>> burns, cuts, broken bones, etc. Crash sites of commercial airliners are going to have immediate <br>> response. Extreem circumstances, such as weather conditions or terrain (mountains) may delay <br>> response, but survivers would likely be reached in hours, not days (is that a reasonable assumption?). <br>> So I would guess that antibiotics would not be needed, but pain meds would. As would gauze bandages,<br>> tape, maybe a SAM splint, but security might find that odd. What else.<br><br>Commercial airliners are likely to carry a very extensive array of first aid supplies. I'd stick with a regular first aid kit, plus some ASA or acetominophen (St. John Ambulance in Canada insists that a first-aider cannot give any medications, except aspirin - and then only for someone having a heart attack, not for a headache or as a general painkiller. It makes some sense, in that some people are allergic to aspirin and they could turn around and sue.) If you require prescription medications, carry them, but make sure they're clearly marked as such. It's generally, IMO, a bad idea to carry someone else's prescription meds for them, even a child, because if you get separated, they need the medication and you don't (something that we had problems convincing the Scout Leaders at a camp a few years ago; they wanted us to hold all the medications at the First Aid post. When we refused, they got one of the scouts - who was trained in First Aid and should have known better - to carry all the medications in his pack. You can imagine the confusion that resulted when one of the kids had a severe asthma attack and they couldn't find the kid who was carrying his inhaler; when they did find him, they had to go through a sack full of medication looking for the right one.)<br><br>> 5. Firestarting<br>> In cold conditions, providing heat may be necessary, especially since survivers may suffer from <br>shock. Lifeboat matches and Spark-lite & tinders, etc., should sufice and not present a problem <br>> with security. <br>> If you pack several alternatives, you'll have backup if you need to surrender one form, such as <br>> the matches.<br><br>Messing about with flint and steel is great in theory, but if you have someone injured and going into shock, especially in a remote or inaccessible location, you need a fire NOW! Airliners will have emergency flares; use one of those if you have to. Use a flamethower or a propane torch if one's available; someone in shock doesn't have time for you to mess about with your magnesium shavings and flint sparker. (Something that I was told rather forcibly by my Wilderness First Aid instructor back in February, and it made sense to me. :-)<br><br>In general, a commercial airliner crash is likely to be the least of your worries. I think that you'd have to board a commercial airline flight every day of the year for over 1,900 years before you'd have a 50-50 chance of being involved in a fatal crash; and even then, you'd probably survive.<br><br>