Although perhaps not exactly what your post intended, I consider my Glock G27 (.40 S&W caliber) to be my primary “survival” weapon. I have extended the magazine release, added Trijicon Tritium Self-Illuminating Night Sights, and carry two spare +1 (10 round) magazines. Ammunition is typically Federal Premium 155 or 180 Gr. Hydra-Shok jacketed hollow points. I like this pistol because it offers adequate stopping power along with excellent concealabillity. Glocks are arguably one of the most reliable handguns available, and have always had a reputation for trouble-free performance.

For home defense, I have a Remington 870 Express Magnum Synthetic 12 Gauge Shotgun with the 18” barrel. It’s currently configured for 5 shot capacity, although I may upgrade to the 7 shot magazine tube at some point. It's generally loaded with Remington 2 3/4” LE Reduced Recoil 00 Buckshot, although I keep 3” Magnum 00 Buckshot and 3” Magnum Slugs in an Uncle Mike’s neoprene 5 shell buttstock holder . As I've mentioned before, I typically only keep four rounds in the tube so that I always have the ability to rack a shell into the chamber for "auditory" persuasion -- less-than-lethal force is always the best option, if available.

To fend off all the zombies that will be running around at TEOTWAWKI, I have a Colt AR-15 A3 Tactical Carbine chambered for 5.56 x 45mm NATO/.223 Remington (Model 6721). The barrel is a 16.1" shorty HBAR with a 1 in 9" twist, but at 32" and only 7 pounds, it's pretty easy to move around in the woods with. I've never felt the need to trick it out with a bunch of tactical crap, although I have added a Hogue Grip with Finger Grooves and a half dozen 30 round Magpul PMAG polymer magazines. I have a synthetic A2 buttstock assembly that I can swap out for the sliding buttstock if I need to be a little more low-key. Hornady 55 Gr. TAP Law Enforcement (.223 Remington) is the only ammo that I use in this gun, and is accurate out to 600 meters.

Jim