Reading about Fabio’s decision to buy a gun and the responses to his post has me wondering what everyone conceders a good survival gun and what do they have for this purpose. And why did you choose that gun?

Probably the best survival gun I own is a hinge gun. It’s a Savage model 24, a 22 LR over a 20 gauge shotgun. It’s not quite a single shot. With 2 barrels, I can get off a second shot fast.

A 22 LR is good for small game; the shotgun barrel is also good for small game with small size shot (size 6 shot.) But it also can take down larger game with a slug and buckshot makes a great home defense round, with the 22 as a follow up if needed.

It breaks down to a shorter length; I could fit it in a backpack if I wanted to. I like shooting it, not as much as a scoped bolt action, but it’s still fun to shoot. And I practice with it enough to have a good feel for it. As I do with most of the guns I have.

I also conceder the Thompson Center Contender a great survival gun, I have several barrels for it, but the Savage is a better choice because of the versatility of it.

You can run, but you'll only die tired.