Originally Posted By: jaywalke

I've been looking to add some variety to my stores of long-term food, and I've noticed that retailers are getting slammed with orders at the same time that stocks are low. It's not up to pre-Y2K levels yet...Are more people paying attention to the news? Is this panic buying? I think the shortages and higher wheat prices play into it a little bit, but these places seem to be selling out of food at any price.

Interesting times.

I think that the "panic factor" is certainly kicking in. What amazes me is that a lot of people are buying stuff they normally wouldn't eat in large quantities. Think about the person who buys 50 lbs of Jasmine rice. Isn't that about 800 - 1000 servings?

Also many of the people buying the MRE's and large amts of freeze-dried food normally don't eat those foods. It could be that many of those bulk purchases end up on ebay or get thrown out because of improper storage.

Don't get me wrong - my wife and I store extra food, but we purchased food we normally eat and a little extra at a time. It doesn't take that long to build up a "safety margin" in case times get rough.