My knee-jerk was to disagree with your statement, but... turns out that it depends. Considering that both are the same diameter for all practical purposes:

Most 380 ammo runs around 200 ft-lbs me, with the hottest stuff around 220 ft-lbs me.

38 Special ammo is available (in the USA, NA) in a huge array of loads ranging from 130 ft-lbs to over 380 ft-lbs. The rough average, at a glance, is around 250 ft-lbs -- the old standard police loads (158gr LRN) mostly run a bit over that - say 280 ft-lbs, IIRC.

Math is left as an exercise to the reader, but in general a 7+1 shot 380 adds up to more or less the same as 6 shot 38. I can stack the deck in favor of the 38 by using the "good" stuff, but it's not all that much.

Depends on what ammo he can readily get. I would greatly prefer standard or better 38 over FMJ 380, but I am guessing based on experiences with other calibers.

I have nothing against 380. Many years ago, gave DW a Llama 380 (like a Colt clone). It shot great and never had any problem with it. Except... she didn't like it for several reasons, even though she shot it well. She picked out the replacement and has been very happy with it. A lightweight 4" 44 Spl 5 shot revolver with adjustable sights. I find it nasty to shoot with defensive loads, but she likes it, is good with it, and that makes it pretty effective in my book.

Wish I had kept that 380. Even though I can get a 9mm x 19 in that size package nowadays.

Regards,

Tom