Let me tell you a story about renewal, and maybe you'll see that there's brightness ahead, one way or another.

A long while ago, I had a small business with a partner. We were doing strategic planning for online communications - a business that today is a high-paying field, but in 1990-1991, was totally unneeded as the dot-com stuff was a long way off. I had left a very lucrative career as a television special effects producer to create this business. I lived in a nice apartment in a high-rise in Manhattan. I lived large.
We burned through a lot of money and I got involved with an insane woman and things got bad, then worse and eventually, I lost my apartment, my business, and, due to crazy woman, even my cats.
I found myself living in my grandmother's basement on Long Island, with no car (you have no idea how tough that is on Long Island), tens of thousands in debt, no work and no real prospects.
Somehow, I manged to drag my ass out of bed and to try to do something to get work, to get out of the basement, to get back on track. I lived in that basement for almost three years. I turned 30 in my grandmother's basement, and on my 30th birthday, the IRS delivered a nastygram demanding payment of over $5,000 in taxes and penalties, on a day when I remember vividly I had exactly $24.51 to my name.
Later that same year, my brother got married. I met my wife at that wedding, we will be married 12 happy years this year. She didn't care that I was living in my grandmother's basement, or that I was borrowing my mom's car to come visit her. She only cared that I was always trying to improve things, and I know to this day that if we had ended up living in that same basement, we'd be just as happy together.

And that's what I hope you get out of this tale - trying isn't worse than succeeding, even though that's nice. Failing isn't an ending, it's just a consequence of trying.
Persisting, even as the rules change and your future changes ahead of you, is all that really matters.

Maybe we have all seen the end of the American dream of a house and a car and a nice TV, and now maybe we need to come up with a new idea for what we want and expect vs. what we need. Maybe we all need to lower our expectations a bit and at least meet those .
In the end, this thing that is happening to you is just a thing. It's not you. It's not who you are, it's just a thing that happened. It's happening to others. It's ordinary.