Originally Posted By: Robbie
I am a father of 2 children under five years of age, a mother who is limited to a walker or wheelchair, and my wife can carry a small backpack, but not a large one. I am pretty fit and can carry a heavy backpack, but I am having a hard time packing things. I am following the needs, as best I can, from articles on the site and others e.g. tent, food, sleeping bags, purify water, make fire, etc. but it is all getting to be much in terms of space and weight.

Trying to pack for five people and have one to two people carry is a bit challenging for me. Can anyone help with some suggestions?

Thanks,

Robbie

I share your dilemma. IMO, Bugging out is a last resort and is only effective IF you have somewhere to go to, within a reasonable distance. You are the only one who actually knows your situation. All any of us can do is to supply some food for thought. So here are some of my thoughts:

1) If the wheelchair is electric, your ability to bug out is limited to a 24-30 mile radius of your home, providing the batteries were in good condition and fully charged when you left home. Para 1A may be applicable, depending on the style and weight of the chair.

1A) If the wheelchair is a manual, a galvanized pipe can be clamped to the chair and after you attach a hitch to it, you can hitch it to a bicycle and tow her along.

1B) The MIL's walker can be hitched to the front of the chair for carrying until it is needed to get around an obstacle or other human needs.

1C) The MIL's equipment can be largely carried on the back of the chair from the handles.

2) IMO, a two person bicycle trailer would be good to use for the kids. Some of their gear can be tied to it.

3) 2 people can carry the gear of 5 if you use bicycle(s) to hang the gear upon while you and the wife walk the bicycle (with the kids trailer hitched to it). Remember how Charlie kept his army supplied during the Vietnam War.

My personal plans include Bugging Out ONLY to avoid imminent death. My DD1's chair is electric and weighs 250LBS and is not easily towed by a bicycle. We are in the process of getting her a manual chair. When we get the manual chair, then I will get a hitch, galvanized piping, and the necessary clamps to be able to tow her.

My goal this year is to completely equip my "stable" for bugging out purposes. This does not change my opinion that Bugging Out is a Life or Death OPTION ONLY!

I have taken steps to insure, as much as possible, that my home is and stays, equipped to weather out any event at home.

I do currently have several Bug Out plans but they require 24 hours advanced notice in order to be viable. I can't think of any actual disastrous events that provided advanced notice AND that the information was broadcast to the public beforehand.