It's a tough thing. When I was young I had made some pretty bad financial choices. Even worse is that it took me way too long to learn my lessons and I continued to make bad choices. 5 years ago I was really hard up and had 1st hand experience with the emotional issues that you are probably going through right now. I guess the only thing I can offer is that if you hang in there you can get past it and and eventually rise to a higher point in your life. You will take some knocks but it is all transitory. It's amazing how quickly those material things you neeeeed to hang onto fade away.
I will actually be debt free next year, for the first time since I was 18, and I plan to have a "My Dad Was Right" party (who had spoken plainly to me about my choices). That day will literally be one of the high points in my life.
While I understand that my choices were my own I agree that the financial system is designed to enslave, and people need to realize that as long as they are indentured they have no true freedom in any aspect.