Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99
From what I understand they scrub the coal exhaust and out comes considerably cleaner air. Another alternative that they're exploring is coal re-gasification where they pump the exhaust below ground and then mine it later as liquified natural gas through some natural process or something like that. One thing that's just coming out is Plasma Arc Burning. A lot of trash burning plants already use it. It burns the fuel so hot and so quickly that about 2% of what used to be exhausted out the stacks is exhausted.

Another thing that I've read about is when they refine gas they just burn off propane that's created in the process when they could use it to fuel powerplants.

I live close to the Sun refinery in Toledo Ohio, I can see the burn stacks (for lack of a better term) from my house, and they do in fact burn off some type of gas all the time. I can’t for sure say what it is, but the rumor is there is a poisonous gas byproduct of the refining process that they burn off.

The burning runs almost 24-7, 365 days of the year. I live ½ mile away and at times you can easily read a book at night from the glow of the flames.

You can run, but you'll only die tired.