I don’t think GMRS hand held radios are 5-watts when running on internal batteries. I would make a guess they are no more then 1.5 watts when battery powered. GMRS radios may be licensed to operate up to 5-watts by the FCC, but the power the radio would consume at 5-watts would kill a battery very quickly making them much less useful. So they balance the power output with battery life and you end up with a 1-mile radio on simplex.

I don’t think you can expect much more then 1-mile out of a pack radio, and the idea that anyone has their radio on within that range is unrealistic.

If there is a repeater within a few miles, (I don’t know if GMRS frequencies are covered by repeaters) I would think (assuming the repeater antenna is high in the air and in a good location) you could expect to get into a repeater from 5-miles. Hand held to hand held no more then 1-mile.

A ham radio hand held with a repeater guide would probably be a better choice. A 2-meter, radio would be the best choice as it’s the most popular and monitored more then other bands, and has more range then UHF radios.

You can run, but you'll only die tired.