A quick after-action report.

Executive summary: For the shooting sports, all cotton shirts. No synthetics!

I ordered a few of the Boy Scout action shirts and wore one to the range to practice for the shoot. They're priced right, and comfortable and cool. However, I found that shirt with synthetics in them are right out for the shooting sports. The sling was slipping down on my arm, and the stock wouldn't stay put. During the first day of the shoot, one fellow was wearing his favorite stay-cool hiking shirt, also loaded with synthetics, and it was doing the same thing to him. On the second day of the shoot, he showed up with all cotton, and had no problems with the sling and the stock staying put.

For hiking the boy-scout shirt will be great. For the shoot, I showed up with an all-cotton BDU shirt I ordered. It worked great. The sling stayed put like it was glued on.

The slacks I wore were a cotton/poly BDU bottom. They worked great. Kept me cool, had plenty of pockets. My only gripe is that the size adjustment straps on the waist won't hold, because of the slippery synthetic fabric. Well, I've got a belt for size adjustment, so no big deal there. I think the BDU design is for cotton fabrics, so it's no surprise that synthetic fabrics break the design.

I sweated plenty--drank a gallon and a half a day--but had no problem with the cotton shirt. It breathed fine and didn't collect sweat, despite being rather heavy fabric. Same for the cotton/poly slacks. Wish I could say the same for the undies. I regret that I have yet to follow up on your recommendations for skivvies, for they got uncomfortable when I was sweating the most.

Thanks again. You helped this city boy deal with the desert sun. It was a good shoot.