Well, at least it gives them something else to think about.

Let me clarify, after avoiding the rear-end collision, the next thing I would've done, had I had it with me, would be to grab my pistol. I agree that grabbing a pistol during the actual maneuver would be impractical, if not impossible. It is the follow up I am focusing on. Sorry for the confusion there.

Also, if a car is bearing down on me, I would agree that standing defiantly and pointing my pistol is probably not going to do anything to stop the vehicle, so moving out of the way does make better sense, though at least I have a chance of taking the driver with me. However, once out of the immediate path of harm, I can then deploy the firearm to reasonable effect to deter further attempts, should the driver appear willing to persist and is starting to come around for another pass. I am not suggesting a bullet is going to stop a car dead in it's tracks, bullets don't always stop humans dead in their tracks, which is why drawing on an assailant that's already engaged you isn't going to work very often, unless you are shooting major caliber, have been very well trained, and are very lucky. However, up to the point of engagement, a drawn firearm and a willingness and ability to use it for deadly effect can do wonders.

Let me put it this way, one possible outcome of this event would've been that I did rear-end this clown. So let's say now we are both stopped in the road, and Mr. Clown decides to step out of his vehicle and try to rush my door, maybe himself armed as well. Having a firearm in hand and ready to use might give me a chance of surviving his assault, or avoiding one altogether.

The point is, without a weapon my options on how to respond to Mr. Clown are limited. Should he decide to escalate the issue, I am better prepared to respond. If Mr. Clown is going to maliciously cause an accident, then I would appreciate any opportunity to neutralize the threat if possible. I may not avoid an imminent initial impact if he wants to turn it into demolition derby, but I can choose how to respond to any subsequent action on his part a lot better if I am armed. Unarmed, all I can do is try and evade, which may not be possible.

Besides, even if all I had was a knife, it'd be better than nothing I reckon. Sometimes a knife is a better weapon to have in a fight than a gun.

Otherwise, you leave me at the mercy of my enemies? What else can you do to stop an attack? Would you say the best way to win a fight is to avoid it in the first place? Some confrontations are unexpected and unavoidable. There was no way I could've predicted this guy was going to cut me off, nor do I have any idea what his intentions are at the time, so my philosophy is to prepare for the worst. That's just me, though. I fully acknowledge that YMMV.