Excellent, excellent advice above.

I have been solo backpacking for many years. For me, it's a kind of meditation-through-walking thing. I'm no new-age type, but it really sorts out my head. I don't get the same effect from group trips.

You'll tend to pack a bit heavier, because you can't share gear, and because you may need to hole up for a couple of extra days (if injured or stormbound).

You also tend to be a lot more conservative about taking risks -- whether crossing streams, dealing with wildlife, negotiating rough terrain, dealing with bad weather, keeping your gear dry, staying hydrated, and controlling your core temperature. Know the signs of dehydration and hypothermia. All these little things add up, risk-wise, because there's nobody on hand to bail you out. But that's part of the appeal.

Colin Fletcher, a well-respected backpacking author (_The Complete Walker III_), also prefers to walk solo. He deals with more than gear -- the most valuable stuff in his book is the philosophy and mindset of walking solo. Every year I re-read parts of that book, so I would obviously recommend it. Most libraries have a copy (I think it's gone through four updates over the years).