This is not a surprise -- it's been coming for some time. No doubt Nalgene can see the writing on the wall for the consumer versions of this product line. I'm sure they'll continue making polycarbonate vessels for science and industry.

I have been a fan of Nalgene products for a long time. Whatever they're made of , they are well-designed, indestructible, leakproof, and long-lasting.

IIRC, the BPA issue has undergone a shift. Rather than talking about the "straight toxicity" of the chemical, we're now talking about its rather insidious bio-effects in animals due to its mimicry of a hormone. That changes the amount that's considered safe by a huge margin.

I'll still use my existing polycarbonate bottles for emergencies, or for transporting water for washing etc.

Note that Nalgene makes HDPE (high density polyethylene) bottles as well. A bit smelly, but just as effective.

And a number of manufacturers have already switched from polycarbonate to polypropylene and copolyester, which make good-looking products.

Betcha Nalgene will do the same.

Edited by dougwalkabout (04/18/08 08:13 PM)