Most people have said you aren't giving them enough information to give you helpful guidance. While somewhat true, I think its misleading. First off, I would echo OBG and say don't try to be too ambitious. My impression is that you aren't too experienced with hiking and camping (if I'm wrong my advice is too basic, but that won't get you hurt). I would recommend that you start at a reasonably secure area (National Forest or Park for example) where hiking and camping are pretty common and stick to a well traveled trail. Take it easy and consider your first hike a shake down of your skills and equipment.

Second, don't run out and buy the most expensive gear right off, you don't really need it and you also don't know what you'll prefer. If you can't borrow or rent, look at Coleman and similar brands that sacrifice some weight for price, but not much in quality. If you want to upgrade to a $100 stove later, you won't regret having bought a $20 one. As far as a specific list of gear, here are a couple of pretty good comprehensive lists I found using Google:

http://www.worldclassgear.com/backpacking_packing_list.asp

http://gorp.away.com/gorp/gear/packlst_bp.htm

I won't say they're the best lists in the world. You can probably eliminate somethings or add others, but they'll get you on the right track for the kinds of equipment you'll need.

A word, purely my opinion, on PLBs. To me they seem like a good tool for people who are working in unforgiving areas or who are pushing the limits of their abilities. But for the most part, they seem like their being bought either as a comfort blanket, or stupidity insurance. I've done a fair amount of hiking and geologic field work in Wyoming and never felt like a PLB was warranted. Leave a plan with some one you trust and don't take stupid risks, that should be sufficient. The Army likes the five point contingency plan: where are you going, who are you taking with you, when are you leaving and when will you return, what to do if you don't return and what to do in case of enemy contact (you can ignore the last point). Add a map to your start point and of your probably route if its a more obscure location.

Finally, I suggest picking up a copy of the Boy Scout Handbook. I don't know if I have the most recent edition, but the one I have is a gold mine of information on camping and hiking. Everything from what to pack to how to cook. It also has the constellations, map reading, tracking, some common plants on and on. Definitely worth picking up.