I am looking at getting a larger storage freezer and would like to get your imput on which is the better choice.

The first decision we have made is to get a chest freezer since they keep the cold better than the upright models, creating a more efficient unit. Most standard models have sliding racks and such, so you are not having to pull out an entire section just to find an item down at the bottom.

Our second decision (which we have not yet made) is whether or not to get a frost free unit or a manual defrost unit. From what I've reviewed so far; the frost free units are more expensive (about $50-$75 for comprable sizes), not as efficient as the manual defrost units, and are more likely to cause freezer burn compared to manual defrost. The manual defrost units are cheaper, more efficient, and less likely to cause freezer burn - but you have to manually defrost them from time to time (which can be an all day event)

What are your preferences and why?

Thanks for the input!

Dennis