Another interesting read is a sci fi book by Robert A. Heinlin called "Tunnel in the sky". The book is entertaining and although its not one of his best books it reminded me of the importance of community and knowledge of basic grass root political theory in a long term survival situation. It also explored the subject of guns and a psychological aspect I had not considered. Heinlin argues being without a gun makes a person more cautious and less likely to find themselves in situations where they need a gun. I've had similar experiences with folks driving 4 wheel drive in cars. (e.g. "sure it looks muddy and I could get stuck...but I'll go in anyway because I have 4 wheel drive!") wink

I just finished Butler's "Parable of Sower" and I'm halfway through the sequel "Parable of Talents". Survival fiction has been useful for learning new scenarios and exploring long-term survival ideas I had not thought of prior to reading them. The parable series also emphasizes the community approach to long-term survival but alternatively encourages gun ownership.

Great stuff! smile

Cheers,
Nemo