Quote:
We simply adjust our spending, buy as much as possible at Costco, look for store brands, etc...

or you could go back to work if need be, right?

Whoever came up with the notion that 50 years in the workforce is enough hasn't studied history much. From where I sit, that is not a realistic expectation. I've seen far too many "retirees" who thought that saving a million dollars was going to be enough to get them by the rest of their lives, and end up working the door at the local Wal-Mart, or mooching off their kids, or the community. So long as I have breath in me and the ability to reason well, I intend to continue working for a living. When I am no longer able to produce, I expect to be put out of my misery, one way or another. I never had any expectation that I would be able to quit working and coast to the end of my days. I don't care if I do end up with a million dollars in the bank, or more, there's no point in stopping if I can continue doing what I am doing. I may not be able to take any of it with me, even if I manage to have some left over at the end, but at least the surplus will do my family some good, if I am smart about how I do that.

I intend to earn my keep right up to the last, and my hope is that when I do finally go kaput, it is quick and as painless as possible, preferably while I am sleeping. Plenty of time to take it easy when you're dead, but that's just me.YMMV.

grin