Originally Posted By: thseng

If gas is $4/gallon and you are still buying it, then it must be worth that much to you.

I'm sure anybody who cared about the price of fuel would easily reduce their usage by not buying the expensive gas if they could but it's easier said than done.

...Like Susan pointed out.

Our society runs on oil so to reduce fuel usage by not buying any isn't always possible...New, fuel effecient cars cost money and people need to be able to get from point A to point B. I take the bus to work...or walk...but not everybody is so lucky to have the option.

IMO there are other ways to reduce the uses of fuel than to stop driving.

Some others I can think of are:
  • Buy products which are made/grown locally. The farther away something has to come to get to you, the more fuel it takes to get it there. Buy local produce at the very least...typically that's the easiest. I only buy locally made honey and try to hit the farmers market as often as I can for my veggies and cheese.
  • Buy products and services from 'green' companies. Many companies have started being more and more environmentally friendly...while this is usually in the form of a 'carbon footprint', it can also result in less fuel being consumed during the manufacture and delivery of their products.
  • Work from home. Not always an option I know but more and more companies are embracing the work from home philosophy.
  • Have your groceries delivered. It's a service that many major cities have. It's going to take way less gas for a dude in a station wagon to deliver groceries to 5 families than it is for each of those familys to pile into the minivan and drive to Safeway for their milk and eggs.

(I guess my last two ARE by stopping driving...but you get the point smile )

Edited by Hacksaw (04/09/08 05:40 PM)