Take a look at dried sausages. Dried Italian salami, German landjaeger or dry summer sausage. They require no refrigeration and they're tough enough to throw anywhere in your pack with out being destroyed. They also taste incredible (landjaeger if you can find it is my favorite, and it comes as a smaller individual sized sausage) and they're full of energy. They're not exactly light, but they're very energy and flavor dense so you don't have to carry much. You can eat them just out of the package of course, but you can also cut them up and make soup with them.

Then what about eggs, they're really not that heavy, say two ounces and egg and two eggs is a meal, three if you're really hungry. Scrambled, made into omelets or egg drop soup. Get a strong plastic container to carry them from any camping store (including Walmart). As long as you don't throw your bag around too much they'll never break.

Oats are another great food, oatmeal (which I'm not a huge fan of my self) or granola (which I am) make great camping or hiking food. Filled with nutrients and energy but not as heavy as the other two.

Hard cheeses, nuts, dried fruit and dense breads (like pita and little cocktail loafs of rye) also get the nod from me. I like to mix granola with nuts and dried, chopped fruit and eat it instead of GORP.

And finally, consider carrying things like Nutella (chocolate hazel nut spread), pate or tapenade (usually an olive based spread). Again, dense with flavor and energy. Pate usually comes in cans, which are pretty light. But tapenade usually comes in a glass jar, but you can put it in a light plastic container for less weight and more durability.

As you can tell, the watch word for hiking food for me is dense. As long as the weight isn't water (the only thing I've mentioned that carries much water are the eggs), heavier foods just mean more energy per pound. You don't have to eat or carry as much and they consume less volume in your pack. Plus, they're usually delicious. They're more expensive, but compared to freeze-dried or other "traditional" camp foods, not really. Besides, how often are you able to get out and enjoy the outdoors.