Originally Posted By: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor
Hi Johno,

Quote:
Stovies! from instant mash!!!!!!! AAAAAARGH

Good God man how can you desecrate Scotland's Finest spud based meal.

Do agree with the rest of your post though.

I prefer couscous to noodles. But steer away from ration pack meals like the plague.

The Stovies recipe was the 'Survival Version' for the Burt Gummer types who maybe reading and have lots of tins of corned beef and instant mash available in the cellar. The secret ingredient was the Paxo stuffing which makes the whole gooey mess reasonably edible. Perhaps it should have been called 'Barely Stovies' wink laugh

Now depending on the location and time of year in Scotland 'Neeps and Tatties' can be had for free (of course sneeking up to a cow and milking it requires the deepest of survival skills. Best just having your butter to hand from the local supermarket!)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/database/neepsandtatties_9033.shtml

Mmmm, Hot Chocolate Pudding in Chocolate Sauce, now whats wrong with that. Now you might find it strange but I also like the friut biscuits. The Soups and Hot chocolate are as good as anything in the Supermarket. The Corned beef Hash is not to good though even compared to the 'Barely Stovies' recipe. The instant tea just gets binned and replaced with some Scottish Blend or PG tips. But I guess if you have been eating them for weeks on end I can understand your point of view. sick

Three weeks of Lancashire hotpot sort of does that to you. Still the ethnic and veggie packs are very good.