I do carry a set of neodymium magnets in my EDC kit, but in form of ten matching pairs of magnetic jewelry clasps:

They are just 6x6mm x 1.0 gram each, and quite strong (almost 2 pounds for a pair). This particular shape is very versatile. You can attach a string or electric wire to them like this:

I'm using them not only for picking up metal objects, but on a daily basis for making quick and very reliable electrical connections to batteries (AAA/AA/C/D/button cells) and between batteries in series when improvising electrical circuits. They are also good at keeping small metal objects (like screws and nuts) together in a loose container such as a pocket. I'm using them also as mounting points in my vest to hang small zip-lock bags with the components of my distributed EDC kit (one magnet is sewn to the fabric near the top of the pocket, and another one taped inside of the zip-lock bag) which prevents accumulation of items on the bottom of a deep pocket. And similarly - for the automatic closures in my pockets (I'm wearing the ScotteVest Tactical System , which is utilizing magnetic closures already, but not on all of its 47+ pockets smile ). Using thin wire it is possible to make an electric motor, or dynamo generator with them (which will easily power a small radio or LED light)...
And finally, each of these magnets is precisely 1 gram. So, I can use them as weights for improvised scale.

Edited by Alex (04/05/08 06:34 AM)