I decided to check out the degree of flammability of the typical survival Mylar blanket, the AMK Heatsheet and a plastic shopping bag. This was a “down and dirty experiment” so there may be some less then desirable variables, although I tried my best to keep them to a minimum.

I had 3 silver Mylar blankets from different manufactures/supplies and are as follows (with information on flammability if noted on the package):

Dukal Corporation
119 Lafayette Drive
Syosset, NY 11791
Made in China

HEAT –REFLECTIVE SURVIVAL WRAP
“Warning: Do not expose to direct flame”

S.O.S.
Food Lab, Inc.
9399 N.W. 13th St.
Miami, FL 33172
Made in USA

EMERGENCY BLANKET
“WARNING: Passes Flammable Fabrics Act Test COMM PRAC 1610, but will burn if ignited.
KEEP AWAY FROM ALL OPEN FLAME”

The Coleman Company, Inc.
3600N. Hydraulic
Wichita, KS 67219
Made in China

EMERGENCY BLANKET
No warning on packaging

Adventure Medical Kits
P.O. Box 43309
Oakland, CA 94624

Heatsheets
Survival Blanket
No warning on packaging

Plastic Shopping Bag to act as a control

For each mini-experiment, I used a 1” X 1” piece of the blanket
For the flame source, I used a laboratory burner (open flame), with a pilot light using natural gas.

Experiment #1: Holding a 1” square piece of blanket/blanket, moving at a slow steady pace from 6” out from the flame towards the flame. I noted distance where the material started to deform/melt and at what point it ignited.

Experiment #2: To emulate a growing ember, a glowing red wooden applicator stick was applied directly to a 1” square piece of blanket/bag. I noted what occurred.

Experiment #3: Holding a 1” square piece of blanket/bag, moving at a slow steady pace from 6” out from the pilot light towards the pilot flame. I noted distance where the material started to deform/melt and at what point it ignited.

Results:

Experiment #1:

All 3 Mylar blankets were observed to have the same characteristics – Deformity/melting occurred between ½” and ¼” from the flame and ignition occurred when the blanket came into contact with the flame. No dripping of the ignited material was observed.

AMK Heatsheet – Deformity/melting occurred between ½” and ¼” from the flame and ignition occurred when the blanket came into contact with the flame. Minor dripping of the ignited material was observed.

Plastic Shopping Bag - Deformity/melting occurred between ½” and ¼” from the flame and ignition occurred when the bag came into contact with the flame. Major dripping of the ignited material was observed.

Experiment #2:

All 3 Mylar blankets were observed to have the same characteristics – Deformity/melting was observed only when the glowing wooden applicator stick came into direct contact with the blanket. No ignition or dripping was observed.

AMK Heatsheet - Deformity/melting was observed only when the glowing wooden applicator stick came into direct contact with the blanket. No ignition or dripping was observed.

Plastic Shopping Bag - Deformity/melting was observed only when the glowing wooden applicator stick came into direct contact with the bag. No ignition or dripping was observed.

Experiment #3:

The same observations as in Experiment #1 were repeated.

Comments:

All of the tested materials have the potential to ignite, in this series of mini-experiments, ignition of the material require direct contact with an open flame.

The Mylar blankets did not drip molten material when ignited, the Heatsheet did to a minor degree and the plastic shopping bag did drip significant amounts (realtive to the other tested items) of molten plastic. Keep in mind these tests only involved 1 square inch of material.

None of the tested material ignited with direct contact from a growing red wooden applicator stick.

Users of these products should be cautious when around open flames and should avoid direct contact with an open flame. With care, the products should be relatively safe near open flames and the possibility exists that if burning embers should fall on the products, burns may occur, but no evidence of ignition of the products were noted.

Pete