EDC is one of those things that we continually ponder...especially here!

Last night I decided it was time to semi-retire my Columbia shell jacket for the winter (figures that it froze last night) and switch off to my Scott e-Vest...an article of clothing that I have a true love/hate relationship with. It's very well designed, well put together and has over 3 dozen pockets...but it's like putting a fat kit in a candy store and I always end up with a rediculously bulging, overweight vest.

Last night I tried to transfer my EDC stuff to the vest. Like benjammin I can't walk around work with my SAK and E+Lite on my belt and knives hanging off every pocket...the vest is a good compromise because it's suble enough to carry around if I need to...or even wear indoors, without getting too many funny looks.

Even multi-taskers can be a mixed blessing. I love to carry my Gerber Diesel multi-pliers but they're HEAVY! Sometimes too heavy and I go for just a pocket knife instead or a small SAK. My Victorinox Cybertool is one of my favorites but it's BULKY (by pocket knife standards)...it's all about compromise...usually.

Even today I thought I was at the very limits of maximum weight (to still be comfortable and not have my clothing hang around my shoulders like dead weight) even though most of my vests many pockets were empty. I think I'm only using 5 or 6 in fact. But it allowed me to take my E+Lite, an extra (good) folding knife and my ERT-1 Tool and have easy access to it all without looking tacticool or like I'm shoplifting the kitchen sink or like a clock tower nut case at work.